All’s fair in love and war. In the rough and tumble of politics, all are targets.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has copped her fair share of insults. Is it No Big Deal? Game on, move on, nothing to see here? Or something else entirely?
Here are the top 10 most-publicised barbs aimed at Ms Gillard who was sworn in as Australia’s first female Prime Minister on June 24, 2010.
1. “On what should have been one of the proudest days of Gillard’s political career, she bungled it with a less than flattering haircut and a frumpy ’80s tapestry print jacket… Get yourself a stylist your own age.” Anita Quigley. Daily Telegraph. December 2006
2. “I mean anyone who chooses to remain deliberately barren… they’ve got no idea what life’s about.” Senator Bill Heffernan. The Bulletin. May 2007
3. “You won’t need his (PM Kevin Rudd) taxpayer-funded nanny, will you?” Sophie Mirabella. Parliament. May 2008
4. “She has chosen not to be a parent… she is very much a one-dimensional person… she just doesn’t understand the way parents think about their children when they reach a particular age.” Senator George Brandis. ABC Radio. January 2010
5. “She has showcased a bare home and an empty kitchen as badges of honour and commitment to her career. She has never had to make room for the frustrating demands and magnificent responsibilities of caring for little babies, picking up sick children from school, raising teenagers. Not to mention the needs of a husband or partner.” Janet Albrechtsen. The Australian. July 2010
6. “She looks like a real weakling.” Mark Latham. Sky News. August 2010
(Latham also accused the PM of being inappropriate when she touched his chest in an interview: “The physicality of it was all on her side. I’m a happily married man and this sort of stuff I found a little bit out of the ordinary.”)
7. “Juliar Bob Brown’s Bitch” “Burn the Witch”. Placards at anti-carbon tax Rally. March 2011
8. “Put her ( Clover Moore, Lord Mayor of Sydney) in the same chaff bag as Julia Gillard and throw them both out to sea.” *Alan Jones 2GB radio. July 2011
9. “You’ve got a big arse, Julia, just get on with it.” Germaine Greer. ABC. Q&A. March 2012
10. “(Australians)… ought to be out there kicking her to death.” Grahame Morris (former John Howard staffer turned lobbyist) Sky News. April 2012
P.S. Kate Ellis MP alleges Kevin Rudd denounced the prime minister as a ”childless, atheist, ex-communist”. He denies it but Ellis is adamant Rudd spoke those words. March 2012
*In the interests of balance: Bob Brown gets put in the same chaff bag a month later.
Photograph of Julia Gillard via Herald Sun.