ALAN BROUGH’S FRIDAY QUIZ
For some reason that I can’t quite recall I thought that refugees might be a good topic for a quiz…
Refugees in Australia. Photograph via The Conversation.
1. What is a refugee?
a) Someone who goes to their friends for Christmas because their family is such a nightmare?
b) One who, owing to religious persecution or political troubles, seeks refuge in a foreign country
c) A sailor.
d) A member of the Queensland Labor Party.
2. A young couple from Western Australia named Jarrod and Teresa wanted to renovate their house so they could take in newly arrived refugee families. Their mortgage applications were unsuccessful so they tried to raise the money they needed through crowd-sourcing. In two weeks how much money did friends, family and strangers donate to Jarrod and Teresa’s project?
4. How many refugees does the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees estimate there are in the world at the moment?
d) A lot
5. As a percentage, how many of the world’s refugees are in Australia?
6. Complete this Andrew Sister’s lyric: ‘On _________ Island your dreams come true.’
7. In 1947 when India was split into two countries – India and Pakistan – how many refugees were exchanged between the two, newly formed countries?
b) A couple of old blokes and a cow
c) No-one knows
d) Approximately 14.5 million
8. Of the seven gold medals the Australian team won at the London 2012 Olympics how many were won in boats?
9. Which one of these Young Australia’s on the Year was not a refugee?
a) Tan Le
b) Khoa Do
c) Marita Cheng
10. Former Defence Force Chief Angus Houston was the head of the expert panel which handed down its report on asylum seeker policy on Monday. Here is Angus Houston with Julia Gillard.
In 25 words or less write a caption for this photo. (The best entry wins a prize. P.S. The prize is NOT getting to snog Angus Houston.)
See next page for answers>>
|Page 1 of 2||next >>|